The Bottom Line
- The beer selection is phenomenal.
- There is an enourmous outdoor patio for summer dining.
- The atmosphere is very inviting and relaxing.
- Prices may seem steep if you're not into $6 beers.
- The bar selection and atmosphere trump the food itself.
- The wait can be long on weekend nights.
- Cafe Hollander is at 2608 N. Downer Ave.
- Phone: 414.963.6342
- Dress is casual, though the Downer Avenue crowd can skew rather trendy.
- Major credit cards are accepted.
- Open daily 8 a.m. - 2 a.m., kitchen closes at midnight; brunch is served on Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Guide Review - Cafe Hollander, Milwaukee
Cafe Hollander boasts an extraordinary beer selection, and a set of glasses to go with each brew (one of their cardinal rules is that a beer must be served in its proper vessel). If you're a beer-lover, your night (or day) will be made by browsing the beer list alone.
If you're not so into the suds, Cafe Hollander still has a lot to offer. Situated on a commercial stretch of Downer Avenue, Cafe Hollander could make a great date restaurant, with proximity to a few low-key, higher-end bars and the Downer Theater, on of the city's few venues for independent films. The atmosphere definitely achieves the laid-back, European vibe that you'd expect from the restaurants name.
The only potential drawback to Cafe Hollander is the food itself. While generally quite good, a dish can occasionally fall short of the restaurants other attributes. Despite this, the menu is interesting enough, with offerings such as beet salad, bitterballen (fried meatballs) and a wide array of dipping sauces for the ubiquitous frites (french fries), that it warrants the benefit of the doubt.