The Bottom Line
- Awesome selection of toppings, from mega-meat to vegan.
- Two locations: Bay View and East Side, plus delivery.
- Comfortable, community-oriented atmosphere.
- If you like deep dish, this is not the place for you.
- Classic Slice is casual, not great if your looking for an intimate date.
- Classic Slice has two locations: 2797 Kinnickinnic Ave. in Bay View, and 1609 E. North Ave. on the East Side
- Phone: Bay View - (414) 727 - 0761, East Side - (414) 720 - 1880
- Dine in, carry out or delivery
- Dress is ultra-casual
- Average tab is $5 - $15 per person
- Major credit cards accepted
- Hours: 11 a.m. - 10 p.m. Sunday and Monday, 11 a.m. - midnight Tuesday through Saturday
- Web: www.theclassicslice.com
Guide Review - Classic Slice - Milwaukee's Classic Slice
Since Classic Slice opened its doors in Bay View in 2007, it's been among the contenders of the ubiquitous "best pizza" war that exists in any city worth its salt. In January 2011, this laid-back pizza joint expanded to the East Side, scoring a great location on North Avenue across from the new UW-Milwaukee student housing complex, Cambridge Commons.
Both locations serve up the same cool-kid atmosphere, plus a surprisingly diverse menu. Don't think your choices are limited to sausage, peperoni or cheese here. Instead, think about deciding between a slice of such concoctions as the Baconizer (bacon, sausage, mushroom and pesto) or the Chunky Chicken (chicken breast, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes and feta). Even vegans can eat here: The Classic Slice menu boasts three vegan options, including my personal favorite, the Anne Curry (curry sauce, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, tofu and tomatoes).
If you're in the mood for deep dish, don't bother with Classic Slice. This pizza is New York-style, and the slices are thin, and can pose a problem if you plan to eat with one hand -- it's floppy. However, once you manage the eating part (hint: fold it, or use utensils), you're good to go. If you're really turned off by the idea of thin crust, there are other options available: sandwiches, salads and monster calzones round out the menu. And even though this place is called Classic Slice, you can indeed order whole pies, from 16 to 26 inches.